Vendor: BC Racing

Coilover Suspension

Buy & Sell, Group Buys, Vendors.
No commission or discounts are paid to this site.
128racecar
Short Shifter
Short Shifter
United States of America
Province/State: Indiana
Hometown: Indianapolis
Model: —————-

Re: BC Racing availability

Unread post by 128racecar »

jonathan_ed3 wrote:
LALAMAHINA wrote:
jonathan_ed3 wrote:I already have the BCs on my 1983 and am highly impressed!

I keep telling myself I'll play around with them to see if I can make it more comfortable, but in all probability I probably won't. it's been my experience with coilovers in the past, even from the "best" companies in the world, that generally you cannot gain much comfort compared to the out of the box settings. Of course we can dictate ride height, but sometimes more harm can be done than good by messing with the springloads too much.
Actually, the ride height is adjustable without changing the spring preload. You can unlock the bottom collar and screw the ride height up and down without any change on the spring preload. I have lowered my fronts 6 full turns from the factory setting (this is for a track car- I would not suggest this for your street car).

Marc in Indy
1979 Civic SCCA GT5 car, now vintage racing with the VSCDA

jonathan_ed3
Civoholic
Civoholic
Province/State: Dallas, Texas

Unread post by jonathan_ed3 »

128racecar wrote:
jonathan_ed3 wrote:
LALAMAHINA wrote:
Actually, the ride height is adjustable without changing the spring preload. You can unlock the bottom collar and screw the ride height up and down without any change on the spring preload. I have lowered my fronts 6 full turns from the factory setting (this is for a track car- I would not suggest this for your street car).

Marc in Indy
1979 Civic SCCA GT5 car, now vintage racing with the VSCDA
Yes, you are absolutely correct, and you speak to the awesome nature of an adjustable coil over.

But my post was about comfort, not ride height. The only way to gain comfort would be to mess with the spring preload, and I was suggesting that there's probably little to no comfort to gain compared to out of the box spring load. I may even make it worse.

tviracing
PanaSport
PanaSport
Province/State: London

Unread post by tviracing »

if you need a softer spring for a more comfortable ride

contact bc racing in the uk you will find they will ship and go the extra mile to help you out

regards

slim (part of the development team in the uk where ALL 1st and 2nd gen civics bc coilovers were designed and developed )

75CVCC
Province/State:

Unread post by 75CVCC »

Hey,
Sorry for the late the late response on the subject of the BC Coilovers, but just today I was reading on their site which states that BC offer the Coilovers for the EB chassis but I don’t see a set for the ED Chassis for my 75 CVCC. I know this question is similar to the one posted by rmilano31 and responded to by EvoCivic, which responded that, (The earlier 1500 rear end is the same as the 1200. It's only 78-79 (possibly some 77) that have the pinch-bolt rear).

So my question is, because my VIN as well as my chassis numbers begins with SG-E for my 75 CVCC. Technically, it falls under part number A-88 for the 78-79 models. I’m referencing this information based on the Application Guide that’s on the BC site. Therefore, I’m not sure which set to purchase. Is it A-50 for the 73-79 or should I go with A-88 for the 78-79 models. It’s a bit confusing…

Can anyone help me understand or give me some insight on my question. Thanks,

75CVCC
Last edited by 75CVCC on October 1st, 2015, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvoCivic
LSD
LSD
Australia
Province/State: NSW
Hometown: Sydney

Unread post by EvoCivic »

Post a pic of the bottom of your rear struts. If it is a 75 it should need the earlier type but a pic will confirm.
Civic Garage for all your rubber seal and weatherstrip needs.

75CVCC
Province/State:

Unread post by 75CVCC »

EvoCivic,
Today I got in touch with BC Racing NA, Scott sent me an email that shows a diagram of the different rear struts to confirm the fitment, which I'd be happy to share with anyone whose interested. Currently I have my 75 being worked on so I probably won't see the car until mid next week, to confirm which set I'll be going with. Thank you for responding to my question, and I look forward to reading your future posts. Knowledge is priceless.

75CVCC

bob78cvcc
LSD
LSD
Province/State: NJ

Unread post by bob78cvcc »

75CVCC wrote:EvoCivic,
Today I got in touch with BC Racing NA, Scott sent me an email that shows a diagram of the different rear struts to confirm the fitment.

75CVCC
Thank you for sending me the info. :)
Attachments
1st gen civic rear strut types.png
1st gen civic rear strut types.png (80.75 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
78 Civic CVCC

It's just a Civic thing :)

75CVCC
Province/State:

Unread post by 75CVCC »

Bob78cvcc,
No prob, and thanks for posting the diagram in the forum. I think its really helpful.

75CVCC

Thor
LSD
LSD
Great Britain
Province/State: Stratford upon Avon
Model: —————-

Unread post by Thor »

With regard to spring specifications on BC Racing units, there is a part number in white on the outside of the coil.
If your supplier cannot identify what the rate/size is from this info, then I suggest contact with either BC Racing themselves or BC Racing UK who developed both the 1st gen and 2nd gen sets.

When I fixed the specification with them, I took the decision as to what the rates were, settling for a set-up that was firmer than standard Civic, but softer than race. I found these to be ideal for road use when fitted to my 1stgen for the development, Slim agreed that they were optimal for road/sprint/hillclimb purposes over here.

I also arranged with BC Racing UK to have the option of different rates, upon a set being ordered. Their reply to me was that as they are standard damper assemblies and springs within their range [i.e. all their units use the same spring diameters and damper tube diameters, only the lengths differ], the options are easy to apply. The custom parts are the lower mounts and top mounts, the latter being made to my design [now used on other makes by them] with adjustable p.c.d. to suit different 1stgen bodyshells, sadly the 2ndgen design does not allow this option.

The springs are indeed 2.5" internal, so any race shop should be able to help with springs off other cars, indeed if they prepare open-wheel cars, they may well have springs that can be tried before you buy, if dealing with your supplier is an issue.

The disparity in spring-rate is probably down to our analysis tool [our backsides] being calibrated differently, in the UK we prefer our cars to be slightly softer than the Germans and a lot firmer than US-manufacturers, however they are firming up their handling. One advantage that they have is a greater mass to work against the suspension, thus giving a more easily-tuned ride both on spring rates and damping.

Sadly, due to lack of answers to specific requests, we were unable to fully develop the US-spec units, thus leaving you guys to finish the specification off.

I do hope that you find the units worthwhile, I certainly do.

Peter Rust F.M.I.Diag.E (ret'd).

jonathan_ed3
Civoholic
Civoholic
Province/State: Dallas, Texas

Unread post by jonathan_ed3 »

Thor, do you have any recommendations for online custom spring ordering? Once I find out what my current rates are on the BC Coilovers on my 2nd gen, I'll definitely be ordering some softer ones. It's just too stiff with my SOHC D16 swap which is lighter than the factory motor was. My work schedule combined with no real good "custom" shops in my area means I'll be ordering online only!

Also, do you happen to know what the stock 2G S spring rates were just out of curiousity? I know I can't go even remotely that soft, but I'm curious.