Project

Civic 1973-1979 Projects
simplyhonda
Short Shifter
Short Shifter
Province/State: Winston-Salem, NC

Project Simplyhonda's 1979 Honda Civic 1200

Unread post by simplyhonda »

This story begins with me going to look at a 91' AWD wagon I found on Craigslist. I didn't need the wagon or any car for that matter but the ad looked good & price was reasonable plus it was my birthday and it seemed like a fun road trip for the day. When I got there, the wagon was junk. The old guy that had it was really cool though. He had the 91' I went to look at and a cherry 85' RT too. We got to talking for a while. While talking with him I spotted an old civic sitting down in his field. I asked him about it and we went to look. What I found was a super solid 1979 civic 1200. It has zero rust, straight body panels, owners manual, and original key! I asked him if it ran, and he said it did last time he tried (about two years). After dropping a battery in and a little starter fluid - she fired right up without even smoking! I had to have it. I talked it out of him for a cool $900. I drove it 60 miles home with hardly any brakes, had to e-brake it most of the way but I made it home! Got to love Honda! The only other problem it has is a replacement fender and a little bent front end. He did this when pulling it with his motor home and it fell off the tow bar. No biggie. Odometer reads 49,000 don't know if it has rolled over but considering it's condition, it's doubtful. I believe I got a pretty good deal.I couldn't wait to get started on it. Here are the pics the day I got it! 8-)
DSC_0053.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg
So the cleaning & restoration began. I started by removing and scrubbing the interior. It got new carpet and some plastic panel repair. From there I moved on to freshening up the wheels, repainting the valve cover, sanding her down and fixing minor dents etc... It has been slower going than I wanted but I am taking my time with the build. Between work & family I don't have the time or budget I wish I had to work with!
IMG_0588.jpg
I have also been collecting parts her & there along the way. Here are some cool things to go back on after paint. So much for Painting those wheels.
I scored a set of 4x120 13" Enkei Meshes. With stickers still on the inside rim!

Rear Bumper Over Rider
T2eC16JHJHwE9n8iguuJBQI0UjOCJg60_3.jpg
NOS rear mud flaps
IMG_0548.jp.jpg
Beautiful tail lights / Compared to my old ones
IMG_0788.jpg
Deluxe Gauges & NOS trunk letters!
Here is the manual & key that came with the car!
photo-17.jpg

That is all for now! Stay tuned for more!
Last edited by simplyhonda on February 4th, 2013, 4:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Love Working on & Working for Honda!
-1979 Civic 1200, 1989 RT4WD Civic Wagon, 1987 CRX Si
"We only have one future, and it will be made of our dreams."
-Soichiro Honda

Gusto (August Boehm) of , was a member of this site owns and operates 1StGenCivic.Info,
I do not endorse the site nor was I asked for permission to use or re-publish the information from here.
He scraped the web for past pages that are already included in the database of this site known as 1StGenCivic.com/org or previous generations and upgrades.
I am closing site down as an open discussion forum.