LALAMAHINA
LSD
LSD
United States of America
Province/State: Oregon

Honda Civic Trailer Build

Unread post by LALAMAHINA »

Kurt have you seen this?

http://www.on line auctions.links/itm/79-80-81-Civic- ... 1523wt_658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might be able to use parts of this set up.

Kurt
LSD
LSD
Canada
Province/State: British Columbia
Hometown: Maple Bay
Model: —————-

Re: Honda Civic Trailer Build

Unread post by Kurt »

I had not no. Seems that one attaches to the frame of the bumper. Good to know they are strong.

DOHCIVIC
PanaSport
PanaSport
Province/State: North Carolina

Unread post by DOHCIVIC »

nymore progress on this Kurt... mine is at a standstill since I started on the civic motor swap... going to be doing some welding on the car tomorrow
1977 Honda Civic CVCC Hondamatic(sunday driver)
2005 Toyota Tachoma Quad cab(Daily)
2007 Honda Element SC(baby getter)

Kurt
LSD
LSD
Canada

Unread post by Kurt »

DOHCIVIC wrote:nymore progress on this Kurt... mine is at a standstill since I started on the civic motor swap... going to be doing some welding on the car tomorrow
Funny you should ask. I am taking it down to Jay (the welder!) tomorrow to have the frame welded up underneath. Once thats done I will post some pics. From there it will likely sit till the fall as I am moving in about 2 weeks.

Kurt
LSD
LSD
Canada

Unread post by Kurt »

Actually fit in my truck like a glove :) Frame is being done over the next week or so at J1 Metal Fab :) http://j1metalfab.blogspot.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMG_1211_1.JPG
IMG_1211_1.JPG (97.68 KiB) Viewed 4915 times

Kurt
LSD
LSD
Canada

Unread post by Kurt »

Been a while since I did anything but now that I am moved and settled I am starting to work at it again.

I had the hitch welded up in July by Jay (J1 Metalfab) who is an actual welder. I wanted a tongue that could either be removed or folded so the trailer could be easily stored. He designed it so the 2" square tubing slides into a receiver (visible at the front) and then runs underneath towards the back where it slides into another underneath (hidden in the pics) that is mounted near the mounts for the gas tank. Both points are secured with hitch pins. Its pretty solid for the weight of the trailer but its good and secure. The tongue is long and I will trim eventually but as it stands now I can lift the tongue up with a finger so most the weight will stay off my car.

I finished welding up the frame at the front of the car and painted it to avoid more rust. I have the sheet metal already so next I will make a template and trim it before welding on the front panel.

Still more rust to repair on the body but I cleaned up the one quarter that has been bare metal since I got the car. Its sanded down, primered and sealed now to keep the rust at bay. Its pretty straight but I still need to cut the rust out the one quarter and weld in a patch. That parts gonna be a bithch so I have left it for last now that I more comfortable with the welder.
All primed up.  Pretty straight actually for what it was.
All primed up. Pretty straight actually for what it was.
IMG_1546_1.JPG (111.71 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
Bare metal. Time to fix before it gets worse
Bare metal. Time to fix before it gets worse
IMG_1547_1.JPG (88.02 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
Frame welded up for front panel
Frame welded up for front panel
IMG_1549_1.JPG (89.79 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
Hitch Mounted
Hitch Mounted
IMG_1550_1.JPG (94.32 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
Hitch Mounted
Hitch Mounted
IMG_1552_1.JPG (94.42 KiB) Viewed 4811 times

Meldge
PanaSport
PanaSport
Province/State: Brisbane Australia

Unread post by Meldge »

Nice work. I like that hitch idea for storage. I was thinking folding but wasn't sure if it would pass certification here.
I will have to check further though as I have not seen a single arm hitch over here before either, they are all A frame styled.

And for an update on my trailer build, there is no update. :roll:
Meldge

Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail...
'74 Civic
'71 N600
Plus other Non-Hondas...

Kurt
LSD
LSD
Canada

Unread post by Kurt »

I went with the single bar after seeing a lot of the light weight utility trailers built this way (Home Depot sells a bunch and I have one also). On the Home Depot one that I have, the tongue folds but I it figured all the stress is where it hinges. On the Home Depot trailers the tongues folds underneath and the trailer is made to stand up vertical end to end for storage which of course is not possible on this.

I could add sway bars to make the "A Frame" but not sure I will need it. I may see how it tracks first. Its hard to see in the photos but its boxed in pretty good as the tongue stretches nearly to the rear of the 'trailer/car' and not merely that front cross section.

Kurt
LSD
LSD
Canada

Unread post by Kurt »

Found a set of wheels to match my Panasports. These are technically Watanabe brand wheels but they are the right off set and 4x120 and 13". :)

I ordered a set of Panasport caps for them so they would match mine. The center hole is a different size so I ordered a st of aluminum hub centric rings to narrow the gap so the caps would snap in. Need to refinish the wheels now by re-doing the centers in silver and polishing the outer lip.

Still cutting out the final rust. 2 more spots to do and the rust is all gone.....finally :)
IMG_1782_1.JPG
IMG_1782_1.JPG (113.2 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
IMG_1783_1.JPG
IMG_1783_1.JPG (87.78 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

jamesoue
Province/State:

Unread post by jamesoue »

Thats a cool trailer idea!