Short Shifter
Canada
Province/State: Alberta
Hometown: Edmonton
Model: 1979 Hatchback

Project Project My modest

Unread post by slow_and_ugly »

Hi,

This isn't much of project compared to the others on the site, but it's what I got.

I bought my civic last fall just before the weather closed in.
001.jpg
I didn't work on it through the winter because the garage is unheated, but once it got to be warm enough I started. I had big plans, but I have settled down and my goals for this year are fairly simple, clean it up, get new tires, and start to address the interior.

The first thing I did was remove the roof rack. I really like the look of these cars and feel that the roof rack ruins the lines. It came off easily enough but left holes from the mounting bolts and strips of unfaded paint from underneath the roof strips. I bondoed the holes and spot painted with grey primer. (what's one or two more blotches?)

Next I addressed the paint. The original colour is B-15m Montparnasse Blue. It was also spray bombed at some point, but I can't tell if the paint if faded original or faded spray bomb. But in any case the paint was dead.
I used a clay bar, then rubbing compound, then wash and wax.
018.jpg
019.jpg
017.jpg
The car doesn't have hub caps in the picture because I took them off for 'refreshing'

The next thing was tires. The car is equiped with decent 12" snow tires, but I don't want snow tires.
I couldn't find any 12" tires except snow tires (or trailer tires), so I sourced some 13" accord rims.
008.jpg
I spent sometime cleaning and painting them. I managed to find a set of summer 155/70R13 tires. Skinny, but I am happy to have them. Hope to get them mounted tomorrow.

Gusto (August Boehm) of , was a member of this site owns and operates 1StGenCivic.Info,
I do not endorse the site nor was I asked for permission to use or re-publish the information from here.
He scraped the web for past pages that are already included in the database of this site known as 1StGenCivic.com/org or previous generations and upgrades.
I am closing site down as an open discussion forum.