Australia
Province/State: SA
Model: 1975 Hatchback

Re: Phil's 1975 Honda Civic 1200

Unread post by Phil »

Randy wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 1:29 pm
Hi 👋 Phil
I have been enjoying reading your posts on the Daily Digests that get emailed to me. But I just have to drop in to say what a nice job 👍 you are doing.

I am a bit confused 🤷‍♂️ on the bumper bolt tube you welded on. Are you missing the stock brackets? I know they can be pretty creaky.
Hey Randy,

Thanks for stopping by, appreciate the feedback!

The bumper bolt tube had a split in it so it's just a repair job. I'll get these painted up next week in a stealthy matte black finish, then onto the top bumper panel.

Phil
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Phil »

Now that I'm back at work the build progress is slowing down. I will do my best to keep up with documentation.

My good friend August recently returned from Japan with some rs gauges, that we won on yahoo jp. I look forward to getting these working in the not too distant future.
IMG_20191107_182627_138.jpg
The front bumper is together. I painted the top indicator panel, bumper brackets and number plate bracket in satin black, and replaced all the hardware with new fasteners.
Bumper brackets
Bumper brackets
Front bumper complete
Front bumper complete
Front bumper complete
Front bumper complete
The gearbox is finally back together and tolerances are to specification. I decided to spend the last bit of spare time on the weekend preparing and painting the gearbox.
Gearbox before
Gearbox before
Gearbox after
Gearbox after
After completing the gearbox, we moved onto the rear main seal (which was 'fun' to get out). The unfortunate event was when the new seal cracked on first contact (apparently had been sitting on the shelf for 18 years). Have already organised a replacement.

I also have removed the exhaust completely now, ready for its replacement.

I've also started to pull the looms back into the engine bay and install a few accessories.

Exhaust manifold has returned from the ceramic coaters. Pleased. With the result.
Exhaust manifold ceramic coated
Exhaust manifold ceramic coated
Attachments
Painted brake lines
Painted brake lines
Crossmembers powder coated
Crossmembers powder coated
20191116_165653.jpg
20191116_165657.jpg
FB_IMG_1574675832111.jpg

mielko
Projects
Projects
Netherlands
Province/State: Europe,holland

Unread post by mielko »

Nice

Phil
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Phil »

So close I can nearly hear the engine purring. Pictures will speak louder than words here. Hammering out full weekends worth of work because I'm looking forward to driving again!
Engine and gearbox ready to drop in
Engine and gearbox ready to drop in
20191201_144355.jpg
20191207_092145.jpg
Starting to come together!
Starting to come together!
Radiator and fan ready to go in.
Radiator and fan ready to go in.
20191207_092145.jpg

Phil
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Phil »

I went to test fit the radiator last week and found I had the incorrect clearance due to the tank bracket location. Without hassle, the local radiator shop adjusted the brackets for the correct fit.
rad bracket wrong.jpg
much better!
much better!
In moving the the brackets, the fan needed to be spaced out from the core, so I ended up using a couple of nuts as spacers. The fan now has 2mm clearance from the core.
successful fit
successful fit
Outside of the workshop, I have removed the gauges from an old spare cluster to make room for my mechanical deluxe gauges. I cleaned the housing up using a basic car wash and rise method to remove the excess grime. I left the housing to dry overnight and proceeded to test a trim detailer in a inconspicious spot the following day. To my relief, it was an improvement over the original faded surface. upon confirmation, I continued to lightly apply the solution using a microfibre cloth to the remaining suface.
gauge disassembly.jpg
trim detailer gauge face.jpg
rs gauge.jpg
Unfortunately I do not have the centre pod gauges that belong to the deluxe set. As a temporary solution am planning to fabricate a pod or bracket to house the original temperature and fuel gauge. This could look great, but more likely extremely sketchy! Jay is sending me a mechanical tacho drive cable from the UK, so I can actually use them.

Steph
Projects
Projects
Australia
Province/State: South Australia
Hometown: Adelaide
Model: 1978 Hatchback

Unread post by Steph »

Phil, you have to pull that engine brace off and paint it. You can actually buy them brand new as a complete unit made here in Australia. If that's not got new bushes in it don't waste your time with it. They're probably one of the single most 'consumable' bushes on the car IMO. When they start to go they stress the exhaust system too.

Oh yeah, p.s. and all that... NICE WORK! :bravo

mielko
Projects
Projects
Netherlands
Province/State: Europe,holland

Unread post by mielko »

I see turbo'd engines in you garage. :burnout

Phil
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Phil »

Steph wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 1:22 am
Phil, you have to pull that engine brace off and paint it. You can actually buy them brand new as a complete unit made here in Australia. If that's not got new bushes in it don't waste your time with it. They're probably one of the single most 'consumable' bushes on the car IMO. When they start to go they stress the exhaust system too.

Oh yeah, p.s. and all that... NICE WORK! :bravo
I completely agree with the torque rod brace! I have one painted in cast iron sitting in the parts box :)

For the time being i'm going to trial a urethane bush on the engine side, as a back-up I also got a new set off of Adrian.

Appreciate your advice :)

Phil
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Phil »

mielko wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 2:06 am
I see turbo'd engines in you garage. :burnout
Let's just say they aren't mine, because they're not. I'm just renting the space for my car (for free).

Randy
Administrator
Administrator
Canada
Province/State: Ontario
Hometown: Ajax
Model: 1978 Hatchback

Unread post by Randy »

Hey Phil

nice work, what is the metal bit for along the top?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (195.13 KiB) Viewed 7712 times
Welcome to the Site.