Projects
Projects
Australia
Province/State: South Australia
Hometown: Adelaide
Model: 1978 Hatchback

Project Steph's 1978 Honda Civic 1200

Unread post by Steph »

I thought I'd create one of these threads to document my progress, instead of posting it all over the shop.

On Monday I had the front suspension and brakes replaced. This included; new struts, lower control arms, tie-rod ends, driveshafts, wheel bearings, steering rack boots, all the rubber bushes were replaced with urethane bushes, discs, pads, and brake hoses. I have to say the difference is enormous. The ride is smoother, but the cornering is just amazing. I had to do a quick U-turn yesterday and the car felt like it was glued to the road. It didn't just turn, it actually felt a little disturbing, because I'm used to all the body roll and understeer, and by applying the regular amount of force to the steering, the car abruptly turned and all the time stuck to the road, without any squealing.

Next week I hope to get the rear suspension and brakes fitted.

I'm planning on fitting my wheels this weekend, so picture to come,

Steph

islander
PanaSport
PanaSport
Province/State: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia

Unread post by islander »

where were you able to find all of the new suspension parts :?:

Steph
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Steph »

islander wrote:where were you able to find all of the new suspension parts :?:
All over the place, a bit here, a bit there, and before I knew it I had it all. I was able to find a quantity of new lower control arms for $22 each, which were distributed to a couple of local members. I also found front struts on line auctions which cost $70 for the pair. I even found a bunch of new discs for $22 each.

Steph
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Steph »

This weekend I repaired my bumper ends and repainted and refitted them. I also painted the bumper over riders/guards that Anthony supplied me. I've painted my bumper ends before, but I didn't do the prep work properly, so the paint didn't adhere, but this time I really made an effort to get it to stick. I used #36 grit to rough up the surface in a big way, then filled any imperfections with this excellent filler from the UK. It's called David's Isopons P38 filler, and it's the best stuff I've ever used, but then again, I've only ever bought auto store filler. The P38 is really easy to sand, and retains good flexibility. I love it. So once I had filled and sanded it back reasonably well, I then sprayed primer/filler on in a generous manner, then sanded it back removing any imperfections, then I did the same all over again until there wasn't the slightest imperfection. I sanded it in the sunlight which helps pick up the lightest of overlooked scratches. So this is where I was at this stage...
steph1.jpg
From there I gave them all a coat with a bumper bar and plastic paint in satin black, and this is how they came out...
steph2.jpg
Then I repainted my bumpers, and refit the bumper ends while off the car on a couple of A frame trellises. This is the best way by far to refit them, as it's a real pain otherwise. So this is how it ended up...
steph3.jpg
steph4.jpg
steph5.jpg
steph6.jpg

Steph
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Steph »

Next job is to fit the new wheels, and paint the front grill and headlight surrounds :D

Steph

Steph
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Steph »

Couldn't wait any longer, so I painted the front grill...
IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3034.jpg
IMG_3034.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
I also polished the gold background on the front emblem. It was pretty deteriorated, so I used some sandpaper and removed some of the plastic, then I used fine sandpaper, followed by ultra fine, then I used a tiny jeweler's mop in the end of my Dremel with the proper light-blue plastic cutting compound and polished it back up. I've done a lot of plastic polishing in the past, so I have a good feel for it, as it's very easy to overheat the polymer and burn it.

Steph

HondaCarCare1
LSD
LSD
United States of America
Province/State: Portland Oregon, USA

Unread post by HondaCarCare1 »

Steph wrote:Couldn't wait any longer, so I painted the front grill...
What kind of paint did you use on the grille? I've seen grilles that have been painted, and after a few years they start to peel. :( Could be bcause they weren't prep'd correctly. We always use the VHT dye rather than paint. No peeling. :D

Emblem looks great. :D

Steph
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Steph »

HondaCarCare1 wrote: What kind of paint did you use on the grille? I've seen grilles that have been painted, and after a few years they start to peel. :( Could be because they weren't prep'd correctly. We always use the VHT dye rather than paint. No peeling. :D

Emblem looks great. :D
Sue, I took your advice and bought VHT Vinyl Dye and it worked really well. I did find it was really difficult to get a good wet coat without it drying before I could get a complete coat, but in the end I got it to work. I've just realised I need to 'dye' the vent in the hood too.

Steph

HondaCarCare1
LSD
LSD
United States of America
Province/State: Portland Oregon, USA

Unread post by HondaCarCare1 »

Steph wrote:... I've just realised I need to 'dye' the vent in the hood too.
Yep, we've done a few of those too. They turned out great. :D

Steph
Projects
Projects
Australia

Unread post by Steph »

I'm tempted to paint my carpet too. I'd like to have black carpet. :)