Randy's 1978 Honda Civic (1200)

Car was purchased in July 2002 from Cobourg Honda in Ontario.

Modifications and specifications from old site Garage.
Randy
Administrator
Administrator
Canada
Province/State: Ontario
Hometown: Ajax
Model: 1978 Hatchback

Randy's 1978 Honda Civic (1200)

Unread post by Randy »

randy_d_1_small.jpg
randy_d_1_small.jpg (2.27 KiB) Viewed 10830 times
randy_d_1.jpg
randy_d_1.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 10831 times

Modifications
ImageCategoryDescriptionRatingCommentsInstall Comments
linkVehicle1978 1200 Civic10Purchased from Coburg HondaDied!
linkEngineEN1 EB3 combo8Came with Mugen valve coverBroken off steady mount
linkEngine HPUnknown Modified10Recenty rebuilt for racingModified Engine Mount
linkTransmission5 speed manual10Came out of Special X CarHarder than 4 speed install
linkWheelsStock10Grey 12inch4x120
linkTiresStock8From WalMartKorea
linkExhaustStock...
linkAudioSony AM/FM/Tape deck. Pioneer 6x9's boxed, 3-1/2" Original Pioneer door speakers w/grilles...
linkInterior Mods91 Prelude seats, oem overhead console, 77 CVCC 3 spoke wooden steering wheel, wood shift knob, aftermarket floor console, passenger side mirrored visor and Special X guages ....
linkExterior ModsThe front air damb is from Electodyne. OEM drivers side mirror from the Canadian exclusive Special X Civic....
linkPerformanceUpgraded to 5speed manual transmission, ported EN1 head, lightened flywheel, shaved pulley, racing camshaft. New items to be installed yet: Weber carburetor kit and Honda RS cast 4-2 exhaust header....

randy_d_2.jpg
randy_d_2.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
randy_d_3.jpg
randy_d_3.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
randy_d_4.jpg
randy_d_4.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
randy_d_5.jpg
randy_d_5.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
randy_d_6.jpg
randy_d_6.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
randy_d_7.jpg
randy_d_7.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
Description

Currently in Ontario Canada

Vehicle Specifications
Wheels: Stock
Tires: Stock
Exhaust: New OEM
Horsepower: Unknown
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Weight: ------ lbs.

Performance Modifications
Upgraded to 5speed manual transmission, ported EN1 head, lightened flywheel, shaved pulley, racing camshaft. New items to be installed yet: Weber carburetor kit and Honda RS cast 4-2 exhaust header.

Interior Modifications
91 Prelude seats, oem overhead console, 77 CVCC 3 spoke wooden steering wheel, wood shift knob, aftermarket floor console, passenger side mirrored visor and Special X guages .

Exterior Modifications
The front air damb is from Electodyne. OEM drivers side mirror from the Canadian exclusive Special X Civic.
Sound System
Sony AM/FM/Tape deck. Pioneer 6x9's boxed, 3-1/2" Original Pioneer door speakers w/grilles

History
Car was purchased in July 2002 from Cobourg Honda in Ontario. It had 134,000 original kilometers. Gold exterior, AM/FM radio with 2 door mounted speakers (looks like dealer installed when new). Purchased by dealer from the original "elderly" owner in 1996 for display in their showroom. Car was repainted in 1997 in original gold color in base coat clear coat. The interior is very clean with all original vinyl and carpet in excellent condition.

It was 3 years in the dealers showroom.

Took me about 1 week and $95.00 to get it certified. Parts I had laying around including 2 drive shafts, 1 upper strut bearing, 1 tie rod end, front strut and lower ball joint. New parts included 2 rotors, pads and tires (the tires witch I stole from my restoration project car :)

Its a great looking original First Generation Civic considering it is from rusty old Ontario.

I drove the car for only 2 days after certification. This is when I found that the cast mount on the drivers side of the engine block is broken right off. The camshaft key way and camshaft wheel is badly damaged. I can only assume that it came loose from vibration from the broken mount. The timing belt was also chewed up.

Checking a little further, this is not the original motor, it should be an EB3 but in fact has a EB2. Before Cobourg Honda received the car someone must have done an engine swap with a defective mount. I checked over the car and could not find any damage to the body to verify it had been in a collision. This is usually how the mount breaks.

Because of lack of parts to rebuild my spare EB3 motor I purchased another rebuilt EB3 motor that had only 50km on it when the car it was in was rolled at the race track. I also swaped out the Hondamatic tranmission for a 5 speed w/chrome shifter to put in during the swap.

I was surprised to find out that the rear suspension is of the CVCC design on this car. Talk about half breed.

During the cold days of February 2003 I fixed up and recovered a floor console from a scrap car I bought during the summer of 2002. I found a good Sony stereo cassette to fit in. I am to going to get another gauge to put beside the oil pressure sw. You can't see it (covered up until I am ready to put them in) but this console has a spot for toggle switches or pilot lights.

The font end suspension was completly dismantled and sand blasted including the rear cross member when I did the engine and transmission swap.

Future changes include the addition of a Weber DGV and RS 4-2 whith upgraded exhaust. 13x5.5 Cheviot wheels and tires.

The fall of 2004 I will be stripping the car to do some minor exterior rust and repair the floor inside due to separation of the seam where the side meets the floor. At the end of this I will be getting the engine bay and the exterior repainted.
garage_main_menu.gif
garage_main_menu.gif (2.88 KiB) Viewed 10778 times
Welcome to the Site.